So over the weekend I spent the time making a cake (the second time I’ve ever done this so I was hoping that it would turn out okay).
Pictures definitely speak louder than words, but I think it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself, as decorated with the help of my sister and my friend Emily (fire instagram by the way if your looking for some awesome food/ fashion content to look at).
The results : the cake it self was good, the frosting was too sweet and the lemon curd was too sour. So I recommend that if you want to attempt this yourself at home, use less lemons for the lemon curd and use less sugar for the frosting.
So you want to try this at home now? Well read no further here is the cake base (a recipe given to me by @eviestopbaking – pretty much where I got the urge to bake a cake, because of one (or all) of her cake photos). The Lemon Curd came from this blog, but feel free to find your own! We used 5 large egg yolks and more than 3 lemons.
The Cake Base
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sour cream
¾ cup whole milk
1 cup butter, softened
1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
5 large egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a measuring cup combine sour cream and milk.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites and vanilla and beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low, add half the flour mixture and beat until combined. Add the milk mixture and beat until combined. Add the rest of the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until done.
Cream Cheese Frosting
250g cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter
4-5 cups icing sugar (We used 3 cups, it was too sweet)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla, then gradually add icing sugar until desired consistency
Good luck and Happy Baking! If you try this out tag me or send a photo over instagram, @mishamew! Hope to see your own creations.
❤ thanks for reading.